This is a 20’x28’ building that can be used for a workshop or, with some changes to doors and windows and creative floor plan, perhaps a cottage or starter home.
The whole set of Shop Prints for the Cooper Shop consists of 26 pages. To see the level of information we provide, see the joinery page samples.
Features of the Cooper Shop drawings
1.Optional chain hoist provision
There are detailed drawings of a chain hoist system that travels on a track under the collar ties. It is based on the system we have in our timber frame shop, made from a standard barn door track, sold at all farm supply stores.
Imagine backing your pickup truck in the big doors with a wood stove, engine, or piano, or some other heavy and totally awkward thing on board and hoisting it up to the second floor. From there it can be slid along and set down anywhere under the ridge, all done by yourself in minutes without a hand from anyone.
2. Nailer plan
The nailer system is a time proven method of enclosure, seen in old barns across north America. Nailers are small members that span between posts horizontally, and as their name suggests, are used to nail vertical sheathing, often board and batten.
3. Option of full 2nd floor or loft
The timber floor framing plan comes in three versions; a full second floor, full floor with opening for chain hoist version, or a loft over one of the two bays.
There are detailed drawings of all the joints in the frame, as well as peg placements.
5. Optional Enclosure Systems
The plans include construction sections detailing a stud wall enclosure as well as wall systems using nailers, either insulated or un-insulated.
6. General notes
7. Timber List
Each timber is listed with its dimension and length.
Your Package Contains:
- Page 1 – Elevations (colour)
- Page 2 – Elevations (black & white with suggested window & door schedule)
- Page 3 – 2nd floor framing (full floor version)
- Page 4 – 2nd Floor Framing (half loft version)
- Page 5 – 2nd Floor Framing (floor with chain hoist opening)
- Page 5 – Bent 3, roof plan, top plate plan
- Page 6 – Bents 1 & 2
- Page 7 – Bents 3 & Timber Frame Elevation 1
- Page 8 – Timber Roof Framing Plan
- Page 9 – Top Plate Plan
- Page 10 – Bent 2 – Chain Hoist Version & details
- Page 11 – Labeling Plan
- Page 12 – Joinery Details 1-8
- Page 13 – Joinery Detail 10
- Page 14 – Joinery Details 9-16
- Page 15 – Peg Details 1-9
- Page 16 – Peg Details 10-16
- Page 17 – Knee Brace Details (4 types, with 3 views of each, dimensioned)
- Page 18 – Construction Section – options 1 & 2 (stud wall)
- Page 19 – Foundation Option 1 & Optional Sill Detail
- Page 20 – Foundation Option 2 & Construction Section option 3 (w/nailers)
- Page 21 – Optional Enclosure Systems (insulated with nailers)
- Page 22 – Optional Enclosure Systems (un-insulated with nailers)
- Page 23 – Timber Nailers
- Page 24 – Timber Nailers
- Page 25 – Nailer Details
- Page 26 – Timber List